Why Winter Is the Best Time to Treat Varicose Veins and Spider Veins

Approximately 20% of people will get varicose veins during their lifetime. If we include spider veins, the chance of developing one or the other jumps to 80%. Each situation is different, requiring very customized solutions. But you'll find many reasons that winter is the best time to schedule an appointment with the Anti-Aging Institute.

Are you curious about what's so special about these cold, blustery months when it comes to your veins? Here's what you need to know.

1. Vein symptoms get worse in winter

Have you noticed your veins getting worse as days turn colder? Many people do. The pain, throbbing, heaviness, and itching seem amplified. Even if you're more concerned about the cosmetic aspects of these veins because you're not yet having painful symptoms, know that each less-active winter gets you a step closer to the more serious aspects of this condition.

Less physical activity leads to worsening symptoms. In those winter months, most people spend more time doing things indoors This creates the perfect opportunity for already irritated veins to act up.

This is just one reason that Dr. Bacha recommends scheduling vein procedures for the winter months. Let's look at 5 more.

2. Less sun exposure is better for recovery

Whether you're going for a golden tan or not, getting some direct sun can't be easily avoided in the summertime. When ultraviolet (UV) rays, the kind you get from the sun, penetrate the top layer of skin, they deplete its moisture. Skin loses elasticity. Elasticity is necessary for the skin to heal properly with minimal scarring or discoloration.

This inflexible top layer of skin may also open up sutures. Bleeding and increased infection could result.

In winter, days are shorter. The sun is farther away. You're spending less time outside anyway. You're more likely to stay covered up. These four sun-protection factors make winter the best time for vein procedures.

3. It's easier to rest indoors

Dr. Bacha reminds each of his patients how important allowing proper recovery time is to these procedures' successes. Whether you're having endovenous laser therapy (EVLT), sclerotherapy, or another procedure, healing time is important.

Spending time outdoors is just part of the summer season. When it's warm and sunny outside, you may want to be outside in the garden, at the park, or playing sports. But after the procedure, you need to take it easy so that your body can heal.

As you rest, your veins grow stronger. That most often reduces recovery time.

4. Compression stockings double as leg warmers

No one likes sweaty legs. Whether you're at work or the grocery store, the discomfort can be unbearable. Compression stockings consist of a thick, minimally giving material. They not only compress the leg to promote healing, but they also hold in heat.

In the winter, keeping the legs warm is a good thing. That makes winter the best time to treat veins.

5. You're not tempted to wear shorts

After a varicose or spider vein procedure, most people choose to keep their legs covered even if they're not wearing compression hose. You may have bruising and discoloration that you'd rather keep covered while it heals.

On top of that, as discussed above, you need to reduce sun exposure.

In the winter, it's natural to wear long pants and skirts. You're just not tempted to walk outside in 30-degree weather in your cut-offs. The usual clothing choices for cold winter days perfectly align with your desire to keep your legs covered while healing.

6. You're prepared for activity in warmer months

No one wants to be recovering while everyone else is out swimming, cooking out, or watching little league baseball games. These are spring and summer activities. Getting varicose and spider vein treatments in the cold months means you're ready for fun times with family this summer.

Now is the perfect time for a vein procedure. Book online today.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Why You Should Be Getting a Routine Health Screening

You may think wellness checks, health screens, and vaccinations are just for babies and kids, but think again. Adults can reap the benefits of routine preventive care, too. Find out why you should call the doctor even if you feel fine.

Resolve to Beat the Balding Battle This Year

When you look in the mirror, do you see a receding hairline if you’re a man, or thinner hair than you had five years ago if you’re a woman? Treating early signs of baldness can help prevent more significant permanent hair loss.

What Is Sclerotherapy?

Nothing takes a toll on your self-confidence quite like unsightly spider and varicose veins. Fashionable shorts and skirts quickly become long pants and cover-ups. The good news is, effective treatments like sclerotherapy are available.

Give Your Sex Life a Boost With the P-Shot

Men rarely discuss private issues, but sometimes issues can be serious. If you’ve been experiencing painful erections that are getting in the way of your ability to be intimate, learn more about the P-shot, and how it can enhance your sex life.